While our teeth may seem friendly, a few have nefarious agendas. Wisdom teeth- while potentially harmless- have the potential to wreak havoc on our bone structure, neighboring teeth, and oral health. That’s why at Prairie Hawk Dental, we offer state-of-the-art wisdom teeth removal procedure in Castle Rock to give you peace of mind.
What is Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Wisdom teeth removal is a surgical procedure to remove wisdom teeth. These usually erupt between ages 17 and 21 and grow at the very back of the mouth. Wisdom teeth removal is a standard recommendation from healthcare professionals, as it prevents overcrowding, infection, and further complications.
Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Removal:
- Alleviate Tension. One primary reason for removing a wisdom tooth is to give your other teeth more space. Wisdom teeth can put additional pressure on the jaw, mouth, and teeth. When we remove wisdom teeth, we lessen tension in the mouth.
- Prevent Infection and Decay. Wisdom teeth are the hardest to clean- after all, they’re at the very back of the mouth. As a result, they are most prone to cavities, infections, and neglect. However, you can’t get a cavity if you don’t have a tooth!
- Protect Other Teeth. The tension from wisdom teeth can weaken, loosen, and damage nearby teeth. It may grind away enamel, causing cavities and bone loss. Removing wisdom teeth also eliminates a host of potential problems.
- Improve Oral Hygiene. Wisdom teeth are tough to clean around. Limited space equals less room for angles and effective cleaning. As a result, you may experience bad breath, oral infections, and more. Wisdom teeth removal gives you more space to clean, monitor, and maintain healthy teeth.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure:
Step #1: Anesthetic. We use a local anesthetic to numb the tooth and the surrounding area. Sedatives are also an option. In rare cases, we may use a general anesthetic.
Step #2. Incision. If the wisdom teeth haven’t come through the gums, we make a small cut to access them. The tooth may be cut into smaller pieces to fit through the incision. We may also remove a small amount of bone covering the tooth.
Step #3. Extraction. If the tooth has already sprouted, we’ll widen the tooth socket by rocking the tooth back and forth. We’ll pull the tooth and seal the gap with dissolving stitches.
How to Recover from Wisdom Teeth Removal
Wisdom teeth removal generally only takes one visit. After the procedure, you can go home and relax. However, there are a few guidelines to help you heal most effectively. For example, keep pressure on the gauze for an hour with your jaws. This will allow a blood clot to form and encourage healing.
For 24 hours after treatments, avoid the following:
- Drinking hot liquids. It will irritate the healing site.
- Rinsing your Mouth. Rinsing can dislodge the clot and hinder recovery.
- Smoking or Drinking Alcohol. Cigarettes, tobacco, and alcohol can slow down recovery and cause infection.
- Strenuous Physical Activity. Overactive activity can result in bleeding.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure at Castle Rock, Colorado
It might be wise to remove your wisdom teeth! Our dentists, Dr. Aaron Goodman, Dr. Matthew Young, and Dr. Aaron English, have been performing wisdom teeth removals for decades. With modern technology and techniques, we offer personalized, effective treatments for everyone. As always, we’re happy to answer any questions, comments, or concerns you might have.
Are you interested? Schedule an appointment today to get started.