When it comes to looking after your teeth, then being able to prevent future issues would be key to help keep you out of the dentist and allow you to have great healthy teeth. There is also the option of preventative dentistry that will mean going to the dentist but to prevent dental issues not to have anything fixed.
What is preventative dentistry
Preventative dentistry is a trip to the dentist for dental care but it is just to help maintain your oral hygiene. It is made up of regular dental check ups and also your dentist helping you to develop better habits and teaching you how to brush and floss correctly. This then helps you to stay on top of your oral health and keeps trips to the dentist for the check ups and not having to have work done on your teeth.
The benefits of preventative dentistry
There are obviously multiple benefits when it comes to looking after your teeth and preventing any damage to them and your gums. If you get regular preventative dental checks then this will help to:
- Prevent tooth decay, gum disease and anything more serious
- It helps to increase your oral hygiene habits making sure you brush and floss regularly and correctly
- The check ups help to recognize any early indications of issues which help to reduce the treatment needed and this can in time save you money
- You get a full exam so they can check your mouth jaw and neck to make sure there are no indications of mouth cancer or anything more serious
- Regular check ups can also help to reduce any dental problems caused by chronic medical conditions you may have such as diabetes, osteoporosis and eating disorders
These are the main benefits you will gain from having preventative dentistry, it is definitely worth it should you find that you have poor oral hygiene or that you tend to be in the dentist more than you would like, it may be that you do not know where you are going wrong so this treatment for prevention can help to diagnose the issue.
What preventative services do we offer
At Prairie Hawk Dental we offer multiple preventative treatments for you, these are gentle dental cleanings, complete dental exams, scaling, root planing and oral cancer screenings. These are all offered by us and would come under preventative dentistry. They are all important to help get you started on your dental hygiene journey or to give you general check ups to make sure you are staying on track. You do not need to do all these services; it all depends on the current state of your oral hygiene and what is recommended by your dentist after your check up.
If you are unsure what preventative dentistry is or you are unsure if you need to start it then hopefully this guide will give you an idea of what you need to do and also what we can do to help you do this and make sure that your dental hygiene is looked after and help to prevent you needing any further work in the future.